Saturday, October 10, 2009

Fostering Intercultural Communication

I recently had the chance to talk to a norweigian professor regarding my SEP to Norway. He had some insight to share which I thought might be appropriate for this post. He told me that in Norway, the people may come across as unfriendly as they do not say hello to strangers. He cautioned that if people did not approach foreigners, it was not because they are racist, but rather because they do not approach strangers (even locals) in general. Saying hello is strictly reserved for friends. Perhaps due to the more open spaces in Norway, norweigians do not have much contact with other people, and hence their culture results in this general sense of unfriendliness. This is quite unlike people from say, the US or Canada. In the Americas, people are very friendly, even when they do not like you, because, being friendly is customary to their culture.

I don't mean that in a negative way. Let me give an example of an encounter I had on my recent trip to Toronto. We were eating at a restaurant with a local Canadian. After we had placed our orders, the waiter took a while to serve our food and cutlery (actually just my cutlery. The rest were served pretty quick. Eventually, I went to take my own as this was the fastest). To me, this standard of service seemed pretty standard from a Singaporean point of view. But apparently to the canadian, it was sub par. And she let the waiter know it, in a friendly way. To the gist of it, she told the waiter curtly, "Sir, we have been waiting for our food for quite some time, and this is not acceptable." The waiter was of course apologetic and rushed off, knowing that a smaller tip would be in store. Note, I did not find the time they took to be exceedingly long, and even so, if it was in Singapore, ask yourself how would we react? I think we would be the apologetic one and start of by saying along the lines of, "I'm sorry but my food isn't here yet... etc." The waiter would then go off to search for the missing food, we would grin and bare it and perhaps vow not to come back to the same restaurant again.

It all boils down to a difference in our cultures. In our confucian based society we are trained to be respectful and courteous even to the brink of ridiculousness. (Saying sorry when we aren't the ones at fault, or saying thank you when we are the ones doing the favour.) Canadians on the other hand, have been brought up to know their rights and to demand it, albeit politely. Perhaps this may account for the difference in service standards of our retailers and service providers, not so much the lack of training in good service, but the way our culture works in general.

6 comments:

  1. Yoz!
    Thanks for sharing this post, I think it's really interesting and I have encounter some similiar incident as you when i was oversea. Though I have not travel as far as to canada, but generally, even hongkonger who are chinese and a singaporean who is also chinese, though from the same race, they behave very differently in many ways. Being quite a frequent visitor to asia countries, I realize that we do not really need to compare to people of different race, but simply even by comparing a singaporean with a malaysian- we can actually sees alot of difference in the way they speak and handle stuff. Thus I agree with you that the differences pretty much boils down to the difference in culture.But then again, I guess, that's one of the interesting things to note and the perks of travelling to different part of the world, to immerse and experience a brand new culture :)

    -yongshen-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron,

    I would agree with the observation you made in the last paragraph: in an attempt to emulate the Confucian virtues of politeness and mutual respect, some Asians have become unctuous instead. The balance between sincerity and meekness is particularly difficult to strike in the Chinese culture, where the latter seems to be favoured more. I believe this has contributed significantly to the development of the cultural trait of being unnecessarily apologetic (as you’ve mentioned). However, I think Confucius himself wouldn’t be too pleased about this over-expression, so it is our responsibility to be genuine in our interactions with others.

    Also, thanks for the very useful information about the Norwegian culture of greeting - I’ll be sure not to encroach on their personal space if I ever visit!

    Bing Fu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aaron,

    I found your post rather interesting as I had never really noticed the difference that you mentioned about us Singaporeans being apologetic should we want to ask for a check on our "missing" food.

    It's also interesting to note that you brought in Confucius to back your observation though Im not really sure if it really applies to all Chinese.

    But nonetheless, it was great knowing something new. I would love to make some observations about these behaviors in future!

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed that chinese restaurants (which tend to be more staffed by Chinese) here tend to have very bad service in general, compared to western ones. A friend of mine also had consistently bad service experience on a trip to China. So I agree with you that the difference in service standards is partly a cultural issue.

    It is particularly noticeable here in Singapore where our society is more westernised and have a large proportion of foreigners. Many of us complain about bad service here, but we should also be aware of the standard we expect - it is difficult to change a cultural norm through external means.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aaron, it is interesting to read about your views on the cultural differences between people brought up in Confucian societies and those not. This is a well-described and well-analysed post.

    Would you say that this observation of the difference in service standards of our retailers and service providers is true in all Confucian societies (for example countries like Hong Kong and Taiwan?)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest, I cannot generalise this observation to other Confucian societies as I have never really had the chance to experience an extended stay in these places. However, if my analysis is right, then this should apply to places such as China and Taiwan as well. If not, then perhaps there is yet another factor which propels singaporeans to behave as such. However, as Alvin has pointed out of his friend's experience, perhaps there is a truth to this.

    @Audrey: I think it is all the more interesting that most of the time, we don't notice these cultural traits ourselves, being so immersed in it already. It takes someone else to point it out to us before we realise, "oh yeah, that's true"

    ReplyDelete